Grestone Academy







 Our SENDCo is: Judith Tulloch . She can be contacted by arranging an appointment through the school office or phone 0121 675 6787.

Please click below to read the Grestone Academy SEND School offer:

Grestone Academy School Offer (PDF Link)

Grestone Academy is an inclusive mainstream primary school. We want all children to feel fully included into the life of the school and to have access to a broad and balanced curriculum. We aim to identify children’s individual and specific areas of
need and implement provision accordingly.

‘Perseverance Respect Independence Diversity Excellence

What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school make provision for?
At Grestone we make provision for all pupils identified with any Special Educational Needs an disabilities which are stated in the table below. We are aware that some pupils may have difficulties in more than one of these areas and we will strive to meet their needs. Please note that the information is used as a guide, the things we plan will vary and support will be based on the specific needs of each pupil.

Emotional, behavioural and social need
Children who find it difficult to manage their emotions and behaviour in a way that affects their daily life.

Sensory and/or physical need Children who have a disability that means adaptations and/or support needed to fully access the school/learning environment.

Cognition and learning issues Children who need a longer time to think, learn and understand.

Communication and interaction issues
Children who have difficulty talking to, responding, learning and playing with other children and adults.

What type of provision does the school make?
Our teachers are responsible for ensuring that all children are supported throughout lessons using a variety of teaching and learning strategies appropriate to individual needs. For children identified as needing further support, we organise regular small group support and individual targeted support, such as SULP, Social and Communication groups, and small groups focusing on motor development.

How does the school identify and assess Special Educational

  • Information from parents/carers
  • School based assessments by Lead Practitioners
  • Observations by Class Teachers and Teaching Assistants.
  • Assessments carried out by members of school support services/Special Educational Needs Coordinator
  • Discussion and concerns raised by practitioners who work with the child
  • Information/referrals from school nurse, doctors, paediatricians and other medical professionals
  • Liaison with a pupil’s previous schools

How does the school know how much progress is being made by pupils with Special Educational Needs?
Progress of all pupils is continually monitored by the class teacher, the Special Educational Needs Coordinator and the Senior Leadership Team. Additional support is planned, and the child’s progress reviewed and monitored by the teaching assistant, class teacher and SENDCo. We access the Birmingham Language and Literacy Toolkit to set and review individual targets for children with Special Educational Needs three times a year.

What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special
Educational Needs access at school?
Our extra-curricular activities take place during lunchtimes or after school together with breakfast club and after school club. These can be accessed by all of our pupils. Reasonable adjustments can be made to include individuals so that they can participate, for example children who are dependent on walking aids would not be excluded from sports clubs. Adjustments would be made to resources to enable their participation.

Who are the best people to talk to about Special Educational
We always encourage you to speak to your child’s class teacher about any concerns you may have about your child. However, if you have a specific concern about your child’s learning, special educational or additional need then the Special Educational Needs & Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo) can be available to speak to you. The SENDCo is responsible for supporting members of staff, parents/carers and pupils in meeting the additional needs of all children. Our SENDCo is: Judith Tulloch . She can be contacted by arranging an appointment through the school office or phone
0121 675 6787.

What training does the staff in school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?
To ensure that our staff have the appropriate skills and knowledge to support children with Special Educational Needs there is a programme of on-going training both in school and off- site.

This has included:

  • Lead practitioners in Autism
  • Team Teach
  • C.A.F. (Common Assessment Framework)
  • ASD level 1 & 2
  • Positive Behaviour counselling
  • Person Centred Review
  • Epi-pen administration
  • CAD training
  • Direct instruction
  • Precision Teaching

How does the school get more specialist help for pupils?
At Grestone Academy, if we feel a child needs more specialist help, we can work with a range of outside agencies. We may need your permission before some specialists will become involved with your child.

Agency or Service Who they work with
Pupil School Support (PSS) Provide school staff with advice on teaching
strategies and resources, individual and whole school training to support pupils with difficulties in language, literacy and maths. Individually assess pupils who are not making progress in language, literacy and maths and advise
on next steps.

Education Psychologist (EP) Children with more significant and complex
learning needs. Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training.

Communication and Autism Team (CAT) Children with social and communication
difficulties or a diagnosis of Autism. Provide individual and whole school training for staff with advice on teaching strategies,

Speech and Language Therapy Service (SALT) Children who are referred by the GP or school 
who have specific speech or language needs. Provide school with advice on work that can be carried out in school as well as providing
specific guidance in clinic.

City of Birmingham School (COBS) Children with challenging behaviours. Provide school staff with advice on teaching strategies, resources, individual and whole school training.

Sensory Support Service Children with visual or hearing impairments.  Provide school with advice regarding resources and strategies to support children with sensory impairments.

Health Professionals Provide advice and support for staff working with individual children with health needs.
School Nurse
Occupational therapist
Child Development Centre

CAMHS Children with specific mental health issues e.g.
anxiety/ depression.

How are parents of children with Special Educational Needs involved in the education of their child?

  • Open door policy to listen to parents/carers about their concerns
  • Target setting (through Provision Maps) so that parents can see what their child is working on next
  • Information on the School Website
  • Regular review meetings
  • Parent Evenings
  • Annual reviews for children with Educational Health Care Plans
  • Inspire workshops, class assemblies and open days


How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?
All pupils are involved and encouraged to take part in their own learning journey, for example:

  • Developing and achieving targets
  • Attending parents’ evenings with parents
  • Self-assessment and evaluation
  • All children are encouraged to speak to members of staff/inclusion team if they havea concern or they
    have concerns.
  • Pupil Voice/School Council

Children identified with SEN additional needs are also involved in: 

  • Annual Review meetings
  • One Page Pupil Profiles
  • Easy to read Provision Maps

How is the governing body involved in supporting families of children with Special Educational Needs?
We have a designated governor with responsibility for SEND who liaises with the SENDCo to ensure that the Governors are informed about provision, progress and well-being of our children with SEND. To ensure confidentiality any feedback or reports do not name individual children. Should you have concerns about how school deals with your child regarding any SEND issues you can discuss these with the Head of School. The name of our SEN Governor is: Ms Rachel Burroughs.

What support services are available to help Parents/carers with children with Special Educational Needs?
The school SENDCo will be able to advise you on the support services available to you, both locally and nationally. It is recommended that you contact your GP to discuss any concerns you may have about your child’s
needs and to seek medical support, guidance and assessments if appropriate. Parent Partnership Services is a support service we also recommend to you. They can offer independent and unbiased advice and information about the assessment procedures and educational provision for your child.

How does the school support pupils with Special Educational Needs through transition?
We aim to make transition as easy as possible for the children in our school.

Before your child starts at our school:

  • Visit to existing school or home visit where relevant.
  • Transition days – staggered at times of the day to meet the needs of the child.
  • Meeting with families and staff in school.

When children are moving into the next class:
Your child’s new teacher will be informed of your child’s likes, dislikes and what works best for him/her.

When they are moving to a new school:

  • Additional visits to the new school for children with specific needs
  • Contacting key personnel at receiving school.
  • Reviews centred on the needs of your child involving yourself, staff and relevant agencies when
    appropriate (Person Centred Review).
  • All relevant documentation about your child shared with new setting.

How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authority’s local offer?
The Birmingham Local Authority’s local Offer can be found at:

Who should a parent raise a concern/complaint with?
In the first instance, please discuss any concerns/complaints you may have regarding your child with Mrs
Judith Tulloch (SENDCo). If you feel it is necessary to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to
contact Mrs E Ravenscroft,  Head of School.